Thursday, November 27, 2014

"I don’t think there’s a person alive who doesn’t have certain passions. I think if you’re lucky,..."


I don’t think there’s a person alive who doesn’t have certain passions. I think if you’re lucky, either by genetics or you just get a really good education, you find things that become passions that are just really rich and really good and really joyful, as opposed to the passion being, you know, getting drunk and watching football. Which has its appeals, right? But it is not the sort of calories that get you through your 20s, and then your 30s, and then your 40s, and, “Ooh, here comes death,” you know, the big stuff… .


It’s also true that we go through cycles… . These are actually good — one’s being larval… .


But I think the hard thing to distinguish among my friends is who … who’s the 45-year-old who doesn’t know what she likes or what she wants to do? Is she immature? Or is she somebody who’s getting reborn over and over and over again? In a way, that’s rather cool.






- David Foster Wallace (via devilduck)

via Tumblr http://ift.tt/1ps0jDG

No comments:

Post a Comment