Sunday, May 17, 2015

Commencement.

Every year people graduate and every year people somehow muster the courage to act like they give a shit.

Looking back at my own high school and college graduations I think to myself, “I was so stupid. So very, very young and so very, very, very stupid.”

Graduating did nothing to make me suddenly smarter or more competent. It just meant it was time to leave somewhere I had just started to fit in and understand. Leaving these places because I thought I ‘had’ to because that’s what you’re ‘supposed’ to do. The leaving was on someone else’s terms. Some made up adult inside my head.

The only time I’ve really graduated was July 4, 2001 and I didn’t leave anything or anyone other than my old self behind. Like a husk. It wasn’t like throwing garbage out of the car window, but more like a bed sheet blowing off the line in a sudden strong gust of wind.

The switch flipped, the door unlocked, and I was on my way. Two of us, really. We were on our way.


via Tumblr http://ift.tt/1FslbSO

No comments:

Post a Comment