Monday, May 27, 2013

usnatarchives: “Scott Levins, the Director of the National...





usnatarchives:



“Scott Levins, the Director of the National Personnel Records Center, recently received a letter of thanks from the folks at JPAC, mentioning the names of 32 men missing since the Korean War who had been identified, thanks to the efforts of this center, and could now be sent home for burial.


Some of the names listed were the names of young men whose records I had processed.


Sometimes, I take a quick look at the ages of the men and women whose records I am working on. I realize that most of them are less than half my age. I’ve had a good life so far. Sometimes, their lives ended just when it should have been beginning.”


excerpt from Why I Do What I Do, by Michael Pierce, preservation technician at the National Archives at Saint Louis.


Our mission is to preserve, protect, and make available the records of the Federal government, and this includes the millions of files of veterans, living and deceased.These records are housed at the National Personnel Center in St. Louis, and can be accessed by veterans to received benefits, or by families and researchers.


To learn more about these records, watch this video.


Image: A grief-stricken American infantryman whose buddy has been killed in action is comforted by another soldier. In the background a corpsman methodically fills out casualty tags, Haktong-ni area, Korea. August 28, 1950. Sfc. Al Chang. (Army, 111-SC-347803)





via Tumblr http://thenelsontwins.tumblr.com/post/51471028917

No comments:

Post a Comment