Thursday, February 28, 2013

Aerodrome

First time at the airport since November. Which is awesome because traveling constantly for work is … bullshit and I’m really glad to not do it as much.


I’m going to Vegas for a show. A show where I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing. I’m not the Master Electrician, I’m not the Lighting Designer, I’m not even programming. I literally have nothing to do. Which is great. This is the system as it was envisioned. I stay in the office, coordinate everything, get all the drafting and design work done, tie up all the loose ends, take the napkin sketches and make them a reality. Then turn the people hired to do the on site work loose and wait for the phone calls. But… ultimately… I stay in the office.


Instead I’m going to Vegas where we have a Master Electrician that can do this show blindfolded. An E2 who is a 100% ringer between tours where he is the head electrician for some of the biggest artists in the world. The LD and programmer who has done this show a dozen times. And a hand picked crew of Vegas stagehands.


I’m going to walk around with my radio and stare off into the distance. The ME did all the cable routing and planning because she wanted to. She is doing all of the cable prep and packing all the gear. At this point, it’s her show.


So, I’ll just be there to put out small fires. I plan on spending the bulk of my time doing the equivalent of looking busy. Instead of walking around with a broom like in a shop, I’ll do the whole on the road, hold my radio up to my ear and make the I-just-heard-something-really-important-on-the-radio-that-I-have-to-deal-with-immediately face.


A lot of walking quickly out of the venue, remote speaker pulled up to my ear. In other words, a lot of smoothie runs.


Well, that’s the hope. We’ll see what happens.




via Tumblr http://thenelsontwins.tumblr.com/post/44218122397

No comments:

Post a Comment