Friday, April 3, 2015

iPhone Killer: The Secret History of the Apple Watch | WIRED

iPhone Killer: The Secret History of the Apple Watch | WIRED:

This is the first thing I’ve read about this idiotic watch idea that makes it seem less idiotic.


Of course, I truly believe that the design team is in dire need of actual humans and not high end $600 Oxford shirt, Mercedes Benz types.


That’s made me insane from the beginning of this whole iPhone world. You made an incredibly droppable computer out of glass and made it fit in my pocket because that’s the design aesthetic you want to cultivate.


Well, I actually have to live in a world where gravity exists, it rains, where my workday doesn’t involve a custom calfskin attaché and a meeting around a table worth more than my house.


The watch seems like they’re getting further and further from the world we all live in. I’m not saying make a Timex but I am saying at LEAST talk to someone at Timex, talk to someone at Casio, talk to someone at Suunto. Talk to me.


It seems like it’s less about advancing the technology, that it’s a side note, and more about advancing this weird cultish Apple class status. Different levels of wealth and dedication to the brand. Apple’s address, 1 Infinite Loop, is the perfect analogy for their design culture. An endless loop. The same people having the same meetings in a closed loop where the outside doesn’t exist. A place where they ask themselves, “why wouldn’t you make a phone out of glass?” Rather than asking, “are we really making a phone out of glass?”


A place that says, “we made the most beautiful and functional phone, but if you think you might be poor enough that you need to put a case on it, go ahead, but you’re going to ruin the whole look and feel of the beautiful design.”


So make a watch that you’re never going to leave behind, make a watch that’s useful and can take a beating.


You want to sell millions of these things? You want to change how the world uses technology … again? Then make this fucking watch bomb proof because unlike the phone, I can’t put a case around my whole wrist, I can’t even put it in my pocket.


Plus, it’s hideous. Come on. You’ve got the A-Team of designers and THAT’S what you came up with?




via Tumblr http://ift.tt/1ER2LKE

No comments:

Post a Comment